Links

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

crockpot cuban pork lettuce wraps two ways

I got a half of a pastured pig, and because we are relatively new to the world of pork, I had no idea how to cook it. Internet to the rescue!



I love the internet and all of the amazing recipes it brings me. I love that people share the delicious things they've created so I can grab them and try them myself and as always, add my own twist to them all. I LOVE that there are so many Paleo recipe websites out there.

I found this amazingly delicious recipe on PaleOMG, and I amended it a bit - two days in a row. We ate all the evidence, so there are no photos to entice you with - click over to the original recipe page and you can get a sense of what we had. Let me just say it was DELICIOUS. NOM.

Crockpot Cuban Pork

For the pork I followed her original recipe, found here:
  • 2lb pork shoulder roast (or roast of your choice)
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 orange, juiced and zested (I used 1 Tbs frozen orange juice concentrate)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and pepper, to taste
I went ahead and made this into a marinade, then let the roast marinade for a few hours. You could easily do overnight and do the roast the next day.

Into the crockpot everything went for 6-8 hours on low.

For the slaw, I started to follow the recipe, then went rogue, due to lack of proper ingredients and my own tastebuds. So you can see the original recipe at PaleOMG, then see how I amended it and did my own thing.
  • 1 head of green cabbage, sliced to thickness preference
  • 3 tablespoons yellow mustard (the kind you put on burgers, not the powder)
  • 3 Tbs paleo mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Mix and if you're marinating the meat, let this marinate, too. 
If not, it will still taste yummy fresh.

Once pork is done cooking, use tongs to shred that guy!! (I had to use tongs, a fork, and a knife - it took some effort)

Place shredded pork and slaw in a leaf of romaine lettuce and eat it up!
 
This is so yummy - next time I will use TWO roasts, because we definitely wanted more the next day - and had eaten it all! Well, all the pork, that is.....But the slaw! There was SO much of it! And raw slaw does a bit of a number on my insides...but I REALLY wanted to eat it...so:
 
Cuban Slaw with Bacon
 
Ingredients: 
yesterday's cuban slaw
1 onion
bacon ends and pieces
 
Dice up bacon ends and pieces and fry them up in the big skillet. 
 
Add the diced onion, and saute onion with bacon until nice and clear. Add slaw, saute' until cooked. Eat! Experience food bliss. Wish you had made twice as much because you ate ALL THE CABBAGE! 




No comments:

Post a Comment