Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sweet Potato Pizza [Recipe][Medical Medium Compliant]


We've been enjoying this recipe on the weekends lately, and so I thought I'd share it with you as well. There are so many delicious alternative crust recipes out there, but I wanted mine to be sweet potatoes. Particularly the Japanese sweet potatoes that taste like cake because of their density and sweetness. I just thought they'd make a brilliant pizza crust. You could easily substitute regular potatoes if you don't like your pizza crust to be sweet. But I do, so let's crack on, shall we?
Medical Medium has a great blog post about the benefits of sweet potatoes here


I'm trying to make more of these recipe videos like I keep promising. It takes a long time to make one of these - hopefully I will learn a faster way. Meanwhile, enjoy! 

Sweet Potato Pizza (fat-free option, vegan, plant-based, medicalmedium)
(makes 2 rectangular baking sheet sized pizzas)


(If you are going to make the Cashew "Mozz" for a "cheese" topping, get 1/2 c cashews soaking now before starting anything else)

Pizza Crust: 
2 lg Japanese sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1.5 c tapioca flour
(optional):
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp Italian herbs
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder

Crust preparation: 
Steam cubed sweet potatoes until soft. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Drain, mash potatoes in bowl and add tapioca flour and seasonings. If more flour is needed to form dough consistency, feel free to add more. 
Divide dough into 2 and flatten out on parchment-lined baking sheets until about 1/4" - you want a very thin crust. 
Bake @ 350F for 20 minutes. 
Take out of oven, place second sheet of parchment over top and flip. Roll out a bit flatter again, as crust shrinks a little when cooking. Press or roll out until the crust reaches the edges of the baking pan.
Return to oven and bake another 20 minutes. 
When done, you're ready for pizza assembly. 

While it's baking, if you're making Cashew "Mozz" for a "cheese" topping, start that now as the crust cooks a second time. 

Pizza Assembly:
You'll need a pizza sauce (we like our Easy Vegan Fat-Free Marinara Sauce here)
veggies of choice
I use:
broccoli, finely chopped
sliced olives
sliced red onion
fresh herbs, finely chopped (basil, oregano, thyme)
fresh spinach
cashew "mozz" (omit if fat-free)

Other topping options: marinated mushrooms, caramelized onions, red bell pepper, pineapple, artichoke hearts, the possibilities are endless!


3 comments:

  1. this is a nice variation on a recipe i have made with plain potatoes. sounds wonderful! can't wait to make it! thanks for putting this together. nice to see all of your helpers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plain potatoes would be good too, I think. I just really love the taste and benefits of the sweet potatoes - regular potatoes have their own healing benefits too, so either one is wonderful I'm sure.

      Yes, I get my husband to help so I can film, and Muffins always wants to help with the tasting. LOL

      Delete
  2. I made this recipe and loved it!! I only had 1 sweet potato so I combined it with plain potatoes. And I didn't have that much tapioca but it still worked. Yesterday I made one pizza and today the other, the first one was too long in the oven so with the second one I pre baked the broccoli + onions in a pan and put the pizza in the oven for 11 minutes instead of 20.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!