Saturday, August 1, 2009

the party is coming together

We have been in the midst of a heatwave. In BC, Canada. It boggles the mind - it feels like it did in summer in St. Louis, and yet here we are on the mild west coast, where it is supposed to be like 80 degrees out there, tops. And you see, the weather is one of the myriad of reasons we LEFT St. Louis. Oh, and because we always always always have mild summers, almost no one has air conditioning, either. And so we've been spending lots of time with our neigbours in our air-conditioned common house (think clubhouse like in an apartment complex) - sharing meals, watching movies, playing games, etc. Because all of our units are way too hot to live in!

Thankfully today the heat let up a bit and we were actually able to spend some time outside. Tomorrow we're planning more of the same.

When I'm not trying to stay as still as possible because I really haven't the energy to do anything else in this heat, I've been busy making all sorts of different "cake" recipes - and I use that word loosely - in preparation for Kiernen's birthday party. I even made ice cream bars today, which sadly in the end turned out nothing like I'd hoped, so back to the drawing board on that one. But there's hope! I recently accidentally discovered these when I was looking for silicone popsicle molds, and so I've ordered them both. Kiernen actually picked out which ones we got, because * I * wanted the hearts and stars.

Anyway. We're doing the watermelon cake, AND little raw chocolate cupcakes with frosting. Food is still sort of up in the air, but at least I'm getting somewhere with the cake part. I don't remember having this much difficulty planning the party last year, and I went way over the top.

Is it the heat?