Sunday, August 9, 2009

double chocolate brownie cupcakes


Tomorrow is my son's birthday party. Er, scratch that - TODAY. I really ought to be asleep.

I managed to get him to agree to the watermelon cake (with Spiderman on top!) but he also wanted chocolate cake, so I came up with an alternative that will hopefully satisfy him - raw chocolate mini cupcakes with creamy chocolate frosting.

I went through all of my little recipe cards and finally managed to find a combination that works for me - I used a modified version of Kristen Suzanne's raw chocolate brownies and a slightly modified recipe for frosting I found on Raw Freedom Community (I cannot find it or I'd not only link to it, I'd copy and paste)...

Printable Recipe Here

For the Cake/Brownies:

1/3 c cashew flour (after cashews have soaked and dehydrated)
2/3 c cocoa powder
3 Tbs coconut oil
2 1/4 c pecans, soaked and dehydrated
dash salt
1 tsp vanilla
6-7 medjool dates, pitted and soft
3 Tbs honey

Process all in food processor. Press into 8x8 pan for brownies or into mini cupcake molds. Top with favourite frosting with fruit or raw whipped cream garnish.

For the Frosting:

1/3 c dates, pitted
1/4 - 1/3 c honey
1 avocado
1/3 c cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla

Process in food processor until smooth. Use to frost brownies or mini cupcakes. There might be some left over, but I'm pretty sure there won't be for long - this stuff to me tastes like "real" frosting - only without all the icky overly sugared flavour.

Enjoy!

* The photo above isn't mine, but it is what the cupcakes ended up looking like, so is why I am using it (mine would be minus the chocolate shavings).