Friday, August 26, 2011

Moving to the U.S. - Returning resident exemptions & how to clear goods

I thought I'd offer what I've found in our quest for information about expats returning to the US. Firstly, what can we bring and how do we do it?


In many of these articles I find a reference to a form "CBP 6059", which as near as I can ascertain is nonexistent. Instead, it seems that the form needed to cross the border with one's household effects is, in fact, CBP Form 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles.


As for our car, I figured out from calling the Department of Transportation that this form and this other form are what are needed. As far as I can tell, this is it. Let's hope this proves to be true as we cross the border this Wednesday with everything we own.   
I can't help it if I'm small.
Look how cute I am in this box.


When we brought our cats here to Canada, they all had to have rabies certificates. Because of this, I assumed they would returning to the US, too. So I dutifully went out and got her examined and got her a certificate. Then I looked up the information today to double-check. Importing our cat, from this document:

Cats - All domestic cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when
examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by
a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.
There is no requirement for a rabies certificate but most airlines require a veterinarian’s health
certificate. Cats arriving in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to 
locally imposed quarantine requirements.
So, no rabies certificate required. Damn. Oh well, she's been declared in good health, if not a little thin (we feed her - she has unlimited access to food, I promise! She is just a small cat!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!