Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I held a bumblebee!


Speaking of bees, I had the great honour of holding an actual real live bumblebee the other day! This isn't something that happens often, so I was so incredibly excited - it seemed our bee couldn't fly. They CAN sting, although they rarely ever do - in fact, until I looked it up, I didn't know whether they had stingers or not. The one I held was certainly docile. S/he looked like a big beetle dressed as a bee.

Bumblebees nest in the ground generally - most natural bumblebee nests are down a small tunnel in part or all of an old mouse or vole nest, or they will be in the dry base of a grass tussock or untidy hedge bottom. Gardeners ruin these desirable residences by being tidy. (Damn us! Wait, I am anything but a tidy gardener. Yeah, it's for the bees!)

And I just learned that in addition to creating spaces for mason bees, you can also create spaces to attract bumblebees!  (New project! Woot!) Oh, my delight, I love me some big furry bumblebees! 

If you don't want to go so far as to make nest boxes, there are other ways you can help bumblebees, too.  

If, like me, you are now completely fascinated with the bumblebees and want to know more, go to http://www.bumblebee.org. There is a wealth of information there about bumblebees. Save the pollinators =  Save the gardens =  Save the humans! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!