Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Corn-Free Tacos with Instant Pot Refried Beans and Pico de Gallo (Recipe) (Fat-free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free, Vegan)

Taco weekend! For dinner this weekend I made my family a new favorite meal.

Because of corn allergies from way back, my son had never had tacos before - not in a crispy shell anyway.

But then Siete Foods made these taco shells. With zero corn. And the ingredients, while some of them aren't the best, they are okay as a sometimes food.

So I whip up some of my Instant Pot Refried Black Beans (recipe below), we pile on lettuce or spinach, homemade Pico do Gallo, and Miyokos Creamery plant-based cheese and voĆ­la! Tacos! And my son loves them!

I based my recipe on Foods in my Kitchen Refried Black Beans recipe, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't adapt it to my family's tastes (and the limitations of cooking in the RV). Although I must say that most of her recipes are already perfectly suited to my family's tastes, we LOVE her recipes in this house! So if you haven't gotten her ebook,  I highly recommend it! 

Instant Pot Refried Black Beans 
(Printable Recipe Here)
Ingredients (to start)
• 1 lb dry black beans, soaked in filtered water overnight
• sm handful Atlantic dulse
• 2 lg onions, chopped
• 8-12 garlic cloves, pressed

Instructions
1. Soak beans overnight, or at least 8 hrs.
2. Rinse soaked beans and add to Instant Pot, along with 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the garlic and enough filtered water  to about 2" above the beans. 
3. Add Atlantic dulse, select 'Steam' on Instant pot and turn the time up to 15 minutes. 
4. When that time is up, you can do fast escape on the steam. Then drain most of the cook water , but not all. Leave some in for the next round of cooking, maybe to the top of the beans. 
5. Add in the rest of the garlic and onions, and about 1/4 cup taco seasoning. If you don't have taco seasoning, add: 
Himalayan salt or sea salt to taste
6. Select 'Steam' on Instant pot and turn the time up to 15 minutes. This time, let steam escape naturally for 20 minutes once it beeps (let it switch to lo). 
  1. Use immersion blender to partially blend beans into refried consistency. Leave some whole for texture. Stir all together and they're ready for tacos, burritos, or beans and cheese! 
    Pico de Gallo
    (Printable Recipe Here)
Ingredients
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 sm red onion, small diced
sm handful cilantro, finely diced
juice of 1/2 lime
3/4 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp powdered coriander
1 Tbs honey
(optional) 1 clove garlic, pressed
(optional) finely diced red jalapeno to taste (1 tsp for me)

Combine all in bowl. If you can, let sit 20 minutes or so for the flavors to combine. 
For the tacos, start with the Refried Black beans, add chopped lettuce or spinach , Pico de Gallo, and Miyokos cheese. This would also be amazing with Medical Medium's recipe for Queso Dip and/or Medical Medium Raw Sriracha or Ash Foster Surfrider Sauce. And maybe some sprouts on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!