Sunday, May 27, 2018

Veggie Samosa Recipe [Vegan, Low Fat, Nut-Free, Medical Medium]


I've been eating fat-free lately to help my liver fully heal. My son has also been eating much lower fat, and I've been trying to find recipes that will be low fat and tasty for him, since he isn't just going to eat bunches of salads or other veggies every day like I will. I stumbled on this recipe today at My Heart Beets while searching for tortilla or other flat bread recipes, and it looked so amazing I HAD to give it a go. Only of course I also wanted to make it as low fat as possible, so I changed it up a bit to suit our needs. And I call this a success, because everyone loved it, including my son, who is the most picky of us all. I call this a "weekend recipe" because it's a little involved, but oh man, is it worth it in the end! And the filing - there is so much left over that it can be made into a whole other batch the next day OR you can just eat it plain, because it is DELICIOUS as is. SO the filling, it's not so much a weekend recipe, it can be done any day of the week. Without further ado, I give you the recipe! Enjoy! If you make this, let me know how it turned out!

Veggie Samosas
(printable recipe here)

Samosa Crust (naan recipe):

½ cup chickpea flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon salt

Samosa Filling:

1 lg organic sweet potato (we used Japanese)
2 lg potatoes (we used russet)
1 cup peas
1 teaspoon cumin
1 medium white or yellow onion
1-inch ginger, minced
½ teaspoon paprika with a pinch of cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup cilantro leaves, minced

Instructions

To make Samosas:

In a bowl, combine samosa crust ingredients to form a batter.

Pour a third of the batter onto a frying pan with a wee bit of coconut oil and cook until the bottom firms slightly, then remove and place on a baking sheet.

Cut the naan/pancake in half and spoon the filling mixture in the middle of each piece.

Fold one side of bread over the filling and then fold the other flap over – making a cone or triangular shape. Pinch the bottom closed.

Place baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crispy outside.

To make Filling

Boil potatoes and set aside when done.

In a saute pan on medium heat, add onions and a pinch of salt – stir-fry until onions turn translucent. Add cumin.

Then add ginger, spices and stir-fry for a minute or so before adding the mashed potatoes – combine well.

Fold in peas and cilantro then set the mixture aside until you’re ready for it.

These are SO. CRAZY. GOOD. And ALMOST fat-free!


2 comments:

  1. YUM. I'm going to try just the filling. I love potatoes and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often just make the filling, too, it's delicious all by itself! (And so much faster to make!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!