Monday, May 27, 2019

What's Up Wednesday #52 - House Hunting with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities





It's always tricksy with my chemical sensitivities, trying to find a living space that's safe for me. Since my chemical sensitivities were at their height in the height of my chronic illness, we've found ourselves needing to find a new space more than once. I've learned a few things along the way about being the canary in the coalmine and why it's important. 

In case the phrase isn't a familiar one, "Canary in the coalmine"  is an allusion to caged canaries (birds) that miners would carry down into the mine tunnels with them. If dangerous gases such as carbon monoxide collected in the mine, the gases would kill the canary before killing the miners, thus providing a warning to exit the tunnels immediately.

The toxins that my nervous system cannot tolerate include all manner of petrochemicals: plug-in air fresheners, scented candles, perfumes, colognes, detergents, fabric softeners, fragrances in lotions, makeup, deodorants, pesticides, solvents and propellants like turpentine, shellac, butane, propane, natural gas, gasoline, diesel, exhaust fumes...the list goes on, but you get the picture, right? The thing is, I AM the Canary in the Coalmine. These chemicals don't only affect me - they affect ALL of us.

I show the symptoms - like dizziness, migraines, headaches, brain fog, fatigue, pain, confusion, inability to focus. But for ALL of us, these chemicals get into our livers and accumulate there, making our livers sluggish and fatty, preventing them from performing their over 2000 functions that keep us alive every day. Our heroic livers. Always protecting us, keeping us safe. I don't know about you, but I want to do everything I can to HELP my liver do it's job. Even heroes need support. 

Because of Medical Medium and all of the information he brings to us from Spirit, I know just how to support my heroic liver and therefore myself. I know what these toxins do in the body and how to get them out and counteract them. I am eternally grateful for that, because it makes my experience with house hunting an empowering and doable one rather than one fraught with anxiety and panic.

I know when I can and can't go into a space, I know to bring plenty of adrenal snacks for the extra processing my nervous system is taking on, and I know when to rest and take a break.

I see my sensitivity as a gift. Like a spidey sense. A superpower if you will. With it, I know what dangers are present in the environment and I can take the measures I need to to keep myself and my loved ones safe from absorbing too much into our livers and overloading them. It can be intense navigating such a toxic world when you are highly aware of what dangers lurk around every corner, but it can also be empowering. I talk about all of it in the video, have a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting, it is always a pleasure to hear from anyone who is reading. Note that all comments are moderated, so when you post your comment, it will show up once its been reviewed. Thank you for your patience and your time. I wish you healing, and stay curious!